Thursday, January 27, 2011

FIBER-FILLED MULTI-GRAIN PANCAKE & WAFFLE MIX


I made this mix the other day to store in my pantry so I could whip up pancakes on weekday mornings before my daughter heads off to school. I love this mix because it's loaded with all kinds of goodness and you can add in anything to the batter to switch up the flavor. I thought maybe the pancakes would turn out a little tough or dense because of all the fiber and grains, but they were great! I didn't hesitate having a second helping, knowing how healthy they are (as long as you don't drench them in syrup!) I even threw a decorated jar of it together with a few other things as a birthday gift for my younger sister who recently moved away from home.


FIBER-FILLED MULTI-GRAIN PANCAKE & WAFFLE MIX
makes approx. 2 batches of 10-13 pancakes

1 C. old fashioned oats (not instant)
1/2 C. Fiber One Original cereal, ground fine
1 1/2 C. whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 C. sugar (I used slightly less)
1/4 C. ground flax, optional

Grind the oats and Fiber One cereal in a blender or food processor, separately, until fine.  In large bowl combine the oats and Fiber One, and the rest of dry ingredients. Whisk together well. Store in doubled up plastic freezer bags or sealed plastic container. Store in the pantry or for longer life, in the refrigerator.

When ready to use, simply put 1 ¾ C. dry mix into a bowl, add:

1 1/4 C buttermilk or sour milk (add 1 1/2 tsp. white vinegar to milk and mix up)
1 egg, beaten
2 T melted butter or vegetable oil 
Can also add blueberries, nuts, shredded apple, etc.

Do not overmix batter.

Cook as usual for pancakes or waffles.

3 comments:

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I love the idea of premixing this and having quick easy pancakes and waffle at the ready. Definitely on my to-do list now!

cbo said...

I can't wait to try this, I am getting the ingredients today!

Kelli said...

Cheri, let me know if you try the powdered buttermilk in this!