Wednesday, February 16, 2011

CHICKPEA AND WALNUT BURGER


* Warning* Do not tease your carnivore husband by telling him you are having "burgers" for dinner tonight! I knew better than to tell my husband we were having a meatless dinner tonight; that scares him to death! He sat down to this tempting burger, waiting for greasy goodness, but was met with...beans??
Don't get me wrong, these were good, but they're no burger "fake-out". Once my hubby got it through his head that these are not made of beef, he was able to say they were good. The fact that my 2 year old son, who doesn't typically eat dinner, ate his and half of his sister's, makes this a keeper in my book.

CHICKPEA AND WALNUT BURGER
recipe from Taste of Home Aug/Sept 2009                       Makes 4-5 burgers


2 eggs
1/2 C. dry bread crumbs
1/2 C. chopped walnuts
1 medium carrot, shredded
1/3 C. crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
1/4 C. coarsely chopped onion
1/4 C. Greek olives (I used black olives)
4 sprigs fresh parsley, stems removed
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed & drained
Buns
Lettuce
Tomato
Sauce of choice (recommended tzatziki sauce, but I used "fry" sauce)

In a food processor, combine first 11 ingredients; cover and pulse until blended, but slightly chunky. Add chickpeas; pulse until chopped. Refrigerate at least 45 minutes.

Shape chickpea mixture by 2/3 cupfuls into patties. Coat fry pan or grill rack with cooking spray. Set heat to medium, cook burgers covered for 4-5 minutes per side. Serve on buns with toppings.


7 comments:

Emily said...

This is right up my alley! I made "Pumpkin and white bean burgers" for dinner one day and I will never forget the look my hubby gave me . . . kudos for making something that at least the ladies appreciate and love!

Kelli said...

Pumpkin and white bean burgers huh? Now those sound interesting!

Orchid64 said...

I made this this evening (sans carrots and feta as I had neither on hand) and it turned out very well. I was surprised at how the texture turned out and the burger held together so well. Usually, veggie burgers get a bit crumbly, but this was excellent.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Kelli said...

So glad you like it. Thanks for letting me know how it turned out for you!

veggietestkitchen said...

This is a fantastic idea! I am bookmarking it to make in the future. I have never made my own veggie burgers and keep saying that I'm going to get around to it one of these days!! Thanks so much for sharing. Cheers.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Mmm my boyfriend hates most beans and I don't eat meat, so we have a heck of a time figuring out where to get protein we both enjoy. Fortunately, chickpeas are enjoyed by both of us. I definitely need to try this out as it sounds hearty, healthy, and most importantly delish!

blotter32 said...

Josh has decided he's a vegetarian for the moment so I am looking for meals just like this! Kelli...I love this blog and will be visiting often!!!