Wednesday, February 9, 2011

HELLO KITTY CAKE WITH FONDANT


It's my daughter's 8th birthday today, but we celebrated with family on Sunday. She requested a Hello Kitty cake for the 3rd year in a row, so...I finally gave in.  Not that there's anything wrong with Hello Kitty, I just thought it was kinda boring for some reason. After surfing the net for ideas, I ended up enlarging a page from her Hello Kitty coloring book to use as a template.  The next component to the cake was fondant...fondant? I've never made or worked with fondant.  After viewing a few clips on You Tube, I was convinced I could do it! I was thrilled when it turned out perfect on my first attempt. I was banking on the fact that I'd have to do a few trial batches first, but not so!
I used my tried and true favorite cake recipe for making large birthday cakes; Wacky Cake. All in all, I was pretty happy with how it turned out AND how easy it ended up being. I should have done it 3 years ago!

4 comments:

cbo said...

Very cute! You did a great job. Wish Adria a happy birthday for us!

Janey said...

Great job! Does it make you want to use fondant more?

Mary said...

Kelli, I hope your daughter had a wonderful birthday. I'm sure she loved her cake. This is my first visit to your blog and I've been browsing through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Kelli said...

Janey, the fondant was fun and gives a look you just can't get very easily with frosting. The downside for me is that even though it tastes ok, it was just too thick and sweet for most of us to really eat on top of the cake. But yes, I will use it again when I feel it's the best option!