Thursday, February 24, 2011

ROMA MEATLOAF


I think sometimes meatloaf gets a bad wrap. It's typically what my hubby would call a "grandma" meal. No, he's not being derogatory in any way; believe me, grandma's can cook!  He just means old fashioned, same old, same old. But, this recipe, which came out of my ward (church) cookbook from my neighbor and blog follower, Cherie (thanks!) is not quite what you picture when you hear the word "meatloaf".  It's fancy enough to feed guests and tastes great.  I even chopped up the leftovers, added it to marinara and served over pasta. Two meals in one! Cherie's recipe didn't include spinach, but I thought it would be a nice addition and boost the nutrition value.

Roma Meatloaf


1 1/2 lb. ground beef (I used part ground turkey, part ground beef)
1 egg
3/4 C. oats
1/2 C. chopped onion
1 small can Italian tomato sauce (I just used a can of Italian style diced tomatoes, slightly drained and pureed. I used the entire 14.5 oz)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 C. Mozzarella, shredded
1 box frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry (optional)

Combine beef, egg, oats, onion, 1/3 C. tomato sauce, salt, oregano, and pepper. Mix well and shape into flat rectangle (as you would the dough for cinnamon rolls) about 10-12" on waxed paper. Sprinkle mozzarella (and spinach if using) evenly over meat mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style and press end of roll to seal. Place in a shallow baking dish or on a foil lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 350 F. for 45-60 minutes. Drain off excess fat. Pour on remaining tomato sauce and bake for 10-15 more minutes. 

2 comments:

cbo said...

I love the spinach idea and can't wait to try it!

Carrian said...

I also love the spinach idea! I'm all about boosting the nutrition