Saturday, March 19, 2011

GERMAN PANCAKE


Oh, German Pancake...so many memories. I remember begging my mom to make this for me all the time when I was young. I used to love watching it "magically" rise while baking in the oven. Because I loved it so much, when I was first married, I couldn't wait to share my love with my hubby who had never experienced one before. Imagine my heart-break when he about gagged! What? But EVERYONE (in my family) loves German Pancake. Fast forward 12 years...I decided in spite of his disgust, I was going to make it for my kids. Well, they loved it! And, my hubby actually tried it and this time didn't mind it. One of my daughter's now asks for "German Shepherd Pancakes"!



German Pancake              makes 4 large servings


3 eggs
1/2 C. flour (I used 1/4 C. wheat, 1/4 C. white)
1/2 C. rich milk (I used 1/4 C. 1%, 1/4 C. almond milk)
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter

Preheat oven to 400 F.  Set 9" clear glass pie dish into hot oven on lowest oven shelf until very hot. Meanwhile, mix eggs, four, milk and salt in small mixer bowl, blender or food processor. Beat until smooth about 2-3 minutes. Remove dish from oven; add butter and rotate dish until butter is melted. Add batter immediately. Bake on lowest oven shelf for 17-20 minutes or until golden. Serve hot with syrup, jam or applesauce.

Note: To serve more people, triple the recipe and bake in a 9"x13" baking pan.

1 comment:

Carrian said...

good pictures!!! i totally love gp's