Friday, March 25, 2011

HOMEMADE PEANUT BUTTER and FRUGAL FRIDAY


I'm starting something new...Frugal Friday. It's where I will feature an ingredient or item you can make at home, that otherwise you'd regularly buy at the store.
It's no secret that my family LOVES peanut butter, so of course this would be my first post for Frugal Friday! 
With how much peanut butter our household goes through, you'd think I would have tried making my own peanut butter long ago, but no! This was my first attempt! 
One disclaimer to this being considered "frugal" is that it's only really considered frugal if you typically purchase higher-quality or natural type peanut butter. It also helps if you buy your peanuts on sale of course. 
I am a BIG label-reader, but of all labels, who would have thought you'd have to check dry roasted peanuts? I was shocked to find that some contain MSG! I was all geared up to stock pile the Planters brand because they are currently on sale at Smith's Marketplace for $1.49 for a 16 oz. jar. I ended up buying some of the lightly salted dry roasted peanuts because they did NOT contain MSG, however they still contain corn syrup solids, but oh well, still better than all the other stuff you find in cheap-o peanut butter right?
My food processor is small with a weak motor, so the consistency isn't as smooth as someone might get with a more powerful processor or blender (like the Blendtec I'm dying to get!) But I didn't mind the slight texture.

HOMEMADE PEANUT BUTTER                    Cost: right around $1.50
Recipe from various Tasty Kitchen posts

2 1/2 -3 cups of peanuts should give you about 2 cups of peanut butter


1 1/2 C. dry-roasted peanuts
1 tsp. canola oil 
honey or sweetener, optional (I used 3 packets of Sun Crystals all-natural sweetener)

Place peanuts in food processor and blend until it starts to form a ball. Add sweetener if using. Stream in the oil and blend until desired consistency. You may need to add more oil. If you want chunky peanut butter, add chopped peanuts at the end and give the processor a few pulses to incorporate.
Refrigerate. 

3 comments:

Yadi I. said...

I've tried making peanut butter before, but all I get is a big ball of mush. I'm going to try again by following this recipe.

Kelli said...

Let me know how it works for you!

Carrian said...

hello, that is awesome!!!!!!!! i'mready for your guest post wheneva'. you're in utah right?