Sunday, March 6, 2011

MAKE AHEAD SCRAMBLED EGGS


Yesterday my 8 year old daughter got baptized a member of our church; The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon). It's a special occasion where the whole extended family comes to share the experience. It's also customary for a meal to follow. We like to make any excuse for a get together with a lot of food! Because of the baptism time, I planned a brunch, which is something I've never done before for a large group. I scoured the internet for anything I could make ahead of time, or in the slow cooker so it would be right ready when we were done with the baptism. After viewing several slow cooker egg casseroles, I got nervous thinking, "What if it dries out or doesn't get cooked enough, then what will I do?" So, I decided to take a safer route and went with these YUMMY eggs. That way I could make them the night before and really know how they turned out. Everyone loved them! There wasn't a spoonful left in the pan. Even the men were telling that I needed to be sure to give their wives the recipe! 
You know me, I had to make it a little "healthier" (if you can even call it that). In spite of it being a special occasion, I just couldn't convince myself to go full-fat on everything! Believe me; they were plenty delicious with less fat!

To feed 30 people I did 2 1/2 times the recipe (30 eggs)

MAKE-AHEAD SCRAMBLED EGGS

12 eggs
1/2 C. heavy cream (I used half and half)
2 Tbsp. butter
1 C. sour cream (I used part low fat and part regular)
1 C. shredded cheddar cheese
1/8 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. salt

Beat eggs with cream in a large bowl. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium to medium-low heat. Pour eggs into skillet and cook, gently stirring frequently, until eggs are scrambled, and just set, but still moist. 

Remove pan from heat and stir in sour cream. Spread eggs into a greased 12x7 glass baking pan. Stir in salt and pepper and most of cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cover tightly and refrigerate. 


When ready to serve. Heat oven to 350 and warm through, approx. 20-30 minutes or until thermometer registers 140 degrees.


** Since I was heating mine while we were away, I set the oven to 250 and warmed for approx. 75 minutes and they were perfect!**

3 comments:

cbo said...

This is a great idea for the holidays when all of our family is in town! I need to remember this one.

Congratulations on the baptism. She looked beautiful yesterday.

Kelli said...

Thanks Cherie! It was a nice day. She was so happy!

Carrian said...

I never knew this was possible!!! Bookmarked!