Monday, April 4, 2011

BANANA BERRY MUFFINS


We had such a nice, relaxing morning Sunday, thanks to LDS General Conference, which allowed us to stay home all day. I was going to make my stand-by muffins for breakfast, but at the last minute was "brave" and baked up these instead. I say "brave" because my family gives me a little grief if I try something new and it's not as good as our stand-by. I try not to make muffins that have a lot of oil, sugar or a/p flour in them because then they're more like a cupcake than breakfast! I typically use applesauce or yogurt in place of the oil, so I was skeptical of using cottage cheese in them, but it worked out well. 

Banana Berry Muffins
recipe from Eighty Twenty

Printable Recipe

Makes 10 muffins



1 cup whole wheat flour

1/4 cup white flour


1/4 cup rolled oats


1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese, small curd
1 egg white
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup frozen mixed berries (I used 3/4 C. shredded zucchini & 1/2 C. frozen blueberries)

I also added some ground flax 




Preheat oven to 365 degrees. In a large bowl, combine sugar, mashed bananas, cottage cheese, egg white, and vanilla extract. In another bowl, combine flours, oats, baking powder, and baking soda.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir for ~10-15 strokes, just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in 1 cup frozen berries.

Place muffin liners in a muffin tin (regular size) or spray with nonstick spray. Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full with batter. To the top of each muffin, add a couple of remaining frozen berries. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with a dash of sugar. (I didn't do this part)

Bake for ~15-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool ~ 5 minutes before serving.




(Approximate) Nutrition Info per 1 muffin: 144 calories, 1 g fat, 4 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber

2 comments:

Holly said...

I enjoyed General Conference SO MUCH this Sunday! Especially Elder Scotts talk! Aww.. I loved it! : ) These muffins sound great : )

cbo said...

Great recipe! Thanks for sharing it.