Friday, April 8, 2011

FRUGAL FRIDAY - BROWN BAG MICROWAVE POPCORN


We're not a huge popcorn-eating family, but with our newly finished theater room, I think we'll be eating a lot more of it! I couldn't believe that after all these years of buying microwave popcorn, I finally discovered you can pop your own right in a brown lunch bag! Not only does it save money, it's healthier for you too. You can season it before popping by adding some oil, salt and other seasonings, or do as I did and doctor it up to your liking once it's popped.

BROWN BAG MICROWAVE POPCORN
Yields about 6 cups popped


Place 1/4 C. corn kernels in a brown lunch bag. Fold the top down a few times and secure with tape. Place in microwave on its side with tape facing up. Microwave on high for 
1 1/2 - 2 minutes or until there's about 4 seconds between each pop. (Mine took about 1 minute 45 seconds). Let rest in microwave for one minute. Serve as desired.

Total Cost: about $ .15 per bag

3 comments:

Yadi I. said...

I'm so doing this!

cbo said...

This one will definitely save money at our house!

Jill said...

What a great idea! We are trying this for movie night tomorrow!