Friday, April 1, 2011

FRUGAL FRIDAY - PRODUCE WASH


Oh, how I would love to buy all organic produce. There are two main problems with that; 1) It would be too expensive for my budget, 2) There's not a large enough selection in my area. So, my next best option would be to scrub off as much of the residual pesticide that's left on non-organic produce as I could. But as soon as I saw the $5.00+ price tag on the small container of commercial produce wash, I figured I might as well spend my money on organic produce after all. Frustrating!
 I looked around the internet and found several sites that suggested putting together your own produce wash with simple ingredients you already have.  All you need is a clean spray bottle. (Mine was from the dollar store). Fill it with equal parts water and vinegar and a bit of baking soda. For example: 3 cups water, 3 cups vinegar, 2 Tbsp. baking soda. Be sure to label it so that everyone knows what it is and what it's to be used for. Spray it on the produce, rub a bit, then rinse under running water. 

Total cost: about $1.25 

3 comments:

Carrian said...

love this post! I've never done my own. I'm totally linking up to you for did you know that wednesday

Kelli said...

That would be great!

cbo said...

This is a great tip! Thanks for the good ideas...