Friday, April 15, 2011

FRUGAL FRIDAY - SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK


I apologize for the lack of postings, but it's been a crazy week! I went to the store for sweetened condensed milk the other day, and wow, it's not cheap! I think I paid $2.99 or more for a little can. I've seen several recipes online for making your own. Most use powdered milk with a small amount of water, a LOT of sugar, vanilla, and some add butter. Some say to heat the ingredients, some say to mix it up cold, etc.  So, I ended up trying it a few different ways. The first method I tried was mixing everything up cold, which left sort of a grainy texture. My next attempt was to dissolve the sugar in the hot water, then add the rest of the ingredients. This worked much better. The consistency is relatively smooth, although I did strain mine through a sieve to get rid of a few lumps. By itself, the taste is slightly different than the canned stuff, but not necessarily in a negative way. I have yet to use it in a dessert, but when I do, I'll post the results! And, if any of you get around to using it before I do, please let me know what you think! Overall, this is a way cheaper route to go, not to mention it will save you a trip to the store

Total cost: about $0.65


Sweetened Condensed Milk


3/4 C. white sugar
1/2 C. boiling water
1 C. plus 2 Tbsp. powdered instant nonfat milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Stir white sugar into boiling water until dissolved. Whisk in powdered milk and vanilla. Mix until smooth. If needed, pour mixture through sieve into bowl. Chill until ready to use. Equal to one 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk.



3 comments:

Frieda Loves Bread said...

I've made this recipe before, using non fat dry powdered milk....it does not work unless you use INSTANT powdered milk. Is that what you used?

A Cooks Quest said...

What a GREAT idea! I can't wait to try this one!!

Kelli said...

Frieda, Yes, it is instant. Thanks, I'll change it to specify!