Friday, May 27, 2011

FRUGAL FRIDAY - HOMEMADE LARABARS

Where has the week gone? I was planning to do two posts this week, but here it is the end of the week and I don't even have time to do my own Frugal Friday post. I've been wanting to do my own post of these bars for quite a while, so now I'm "borrowing" this post. This is a great way to be more frugal if you buy Larabars or similar snack bars. Up front the ingredients can cost a bit, but if you make a few batches, it's well worth it! This comes from The Sister's Cafe, which is an awesome blog that I check daily!
I've made these a few times, and they DO taste just like the ones you buy! I had so much fun coming up with my own version, "Tropical", but also tried the blueberry and chocolate almond as described below. 

Homemade Larabars

by MELANIE on FEBRUARY 28, 2011
Have you ever tried a Larabar? They are fruit and nut snack/energy bars that are made from natural ingredients and gluten free. I think they are very tasty,but at $1-$1.50 a bar they are an expensive little snack in my opinion. So, I decided to try making them myself with GREAT results! The main ingredient is dates which can be pricey at the healthy food store, but I found them in a large container at my local Costco for much cheaper. These bars are super healthy and a great source of energy for me and my family. My boys actually love them and think they are a yummy treat. I told them that they are energy bars, so they now request them for a snack before basketball and wrestling practise. For me they are perfect for a mid afternoon ‘pick-me-up” snack. So much better than a cookie or granola bar and much cheaper than the official Larabar.
Here are my favorite Homemade Larabar recipes so far–but the possibilities are endless…
Homemade Larabars
submitted by Melanie
recipe source : Recipes are all over the internet! My recipes were from: the little red house, delightful delicacies, and vegetarlins
Each recipe makes 8-10″ larabar” sized bars, but as you can see from the picture above, I prefer to cut the recipes into 16-20 bars each. You can always have two if needed, but one is usually good for me.
Peanut Butter Snack Bar1 cup chopped dates (it’s cheaper to buy them whole, plus they tend to dry out a bit if they are pre-chopped.)
1 1/2 cup chopped peanuts.
2 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
pinch of salt
Place all ingredients in a food processor.
When they come together into a paste, you’re ready.
Line a loaf pan with parchment, and press the mixture into the pan.
Remove paper from pan, and slice into bars
Chocolate Almond Cherry Bars1 cup whole almonds
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 1/4 cup dates
1 cup dried bing cherries
Chop the almonds in a food processor until you have a mix of chunk sizes. Add cocoa and pulse once. Add dates and cherries and pulse until well combined. Line a loaf pan with wax or parchment paper, press fruit and nut mixture into the pan and press down firmly. Remove from the pan, cut into bars, and wrap individually in plastic wrap or wax paper, tie with string.
store in airtight container inside the refrigerator or freezer.
Mexican Chocolate Snack Bars1 1/4 c chopped dates
1 c toasted almonds
1/2 c toasted walnuts (toast nuts in a pan on medium high heat for a few minutes)
3 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
*same directions as above
Blueberry Snack Bar1 cup pitted dates rough chopped
1 cup dried blueberries (or other dried fruit such as cherries, apricots, cranberries)
1 cup nuts such as walnuts or pecans
Zest of 1/2 a lemon (optional depending on type of fruit used)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
*Same Directions as above

No comments: