Wednesday, May 11, 2011

TACO SALAD ON CORNBREAD WAFFLES


Taco salad is a good old stand-by for us. Everyone likes it, and we usually have everything on hand to make it. This time however, we were out of tortilla chips and I wasn't about to run to the store to get some in the pouring rain. You can't have taco salad without the "taco" part right? I got brainstorming and wondered how it would taste to put it on top of cornbread waffles? Delicious!! What a fun way to switch up a classic.

TACO SALAD ON CORNBREAD WAFFLES

My taco salad recipe can be found here

Cornbread Waffles:
recipe adapted from here


1 ½ cups plain cornmeal 
½ cup flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1 ½ cups milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Preheat a waffle iron and grease it lightly.
In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine the egg, milk, and butter. Add to the cornmeal mixture, stirring until moistened.
Pour 1/2 cup measures into the waffle iron and cook until crisp. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm. Makes 12 servings.

5 comments:

cbo said...

This is a stand by recipe for us too! I will have to try to this instead of chips--it sounds like it is great.

Tris said...

Hi Kellie, I came across your blog awhile back and have loved checking it out. You have such great ideas and I can't wait to try some of your recipes. (Sorry I haven't commented before. I kinda felt like a creepy blog stalker.) N'ways, I really love the frugal friday tips! Keep 'em coming! :)

Anonymous said...

Kelli,
I am going to try this out very soon....and I think I will try the cornbread waffles separately with scrambled eggs and ham. I love to check out your blog...it is amazing!
Kathy

Kelli said...

Thanks Kathy!

Carrian said...

ooooo cornbread waffles? I must try this!