Thursday, September 8, 2011

LIGHTER CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CUPCAKES


I'm back in the saddle...well, at least I've got one leg up : )

With summer over and the first week of school under my belt, I think I'm ready to tackle blogging again! Posts might be sporadic, and I might not do a Frugal Friday as frequently as before, but I'm excited!

Of course the end of summer means - ZUCCHINI ABUNDANCE for many people! There are zucchini recipes galore this time of year, but this is one I hope you'll give a shot. It's from Cooking Light, so it's a little lighter than a typical chocolate cake, but you could easily fool me into thinking it's not!

CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE / CUPCAKES
Recipe from Cooking Light, 2007                                                                 makes 1 bundt cake or 16 cupcakes
(Printable Recipe)

Cake:
3/4 C. sugar
1/2 C. brown sugar, packed (I left it unpacked to decrease sugar content a bit)
1/2 C. (4 oz.) block-style fat-free cream cheese (This time around, I used plain, non-fat Greek yogurt)
1/3 C. vegetable or canola oil
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla 
2 1/2 C. all-purpose flour (I used 2 C. a/p flour & 1/2 C. soft white wheat flour)
1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa 
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 C. fat-free buttermilk (make your own by using skim milk with a bit of lemon juice or vinegar & let set for a few minutes to curdle)
2 C. finely shredded zucchini
2/3 C. chocolate chips
1/4 C. walnuts, optional (I left these out)

Glaze:
3/4 C. powdered sugar
3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
8 tsp. skim milk
2 Tbsp. chocolate chips
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a bundt cake pan or cupcake pan with cooking spray.

Place sugars and cream cheese, and oil in large bowl and beat with a mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs and egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 1 tsp. vanilla.

Lightly spoon 2 1/2 C. flour into dry measuring cups & level with a knife. Combine the flour and next 5 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk.

Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in zucchini, 2/3 C. chocolate chips, and nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan. For bundt cake, bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. For cupcakes, bake 18-21 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar and cocoa in small bowl and whisk until combined. In 1 C. glass measure, combine milk, chocolate chips and vanilla. Microwave for 45 seconds, or until chocolate melts, stirring after 20 seconds. Combine powdered sugar mixture and chocolate mixture, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle over cooled cake.

16 servings: 1 slice = 281 calories, 9.5 g. fat

          



3 comments:

cbo said...

Welcome back! I can't wait to try this one out.

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

No zucchini in my part of the world, but I'm admiring what everyone else is cooking.

Nancy C. said...

I am so happy to see you back to blogging. I have to much zucchini so I will have to give these a try. My kids will be happy they are chocolate.