Thursday, October 20, 2011

HOMEMADE CHUNKY APPLESAUCE


A girl at church last Sunday mentioned that she was given a ton of apples and didn't know what to do with them all, so she'd been drying apples like crazy. I told her she should make homemade applesauce because it's SOOO good! 
I hadn't been able to get the thought out of my head, so I finally made some of my own. I had to go buy my apples to make this, but it's worth it. You can make it just the way you like it...sweetened, or natural, cinnamon or plain, chunky or smooth. I typically like unsweetend, plain & chunky. This time I gave in and added some cinnamon & sugar. 
On a really good day, if I added some whipped topping and a graham cracker, you could almost convince me it's dessert!

HOMEMADE CHUNKY APPLESAUCE
Recipe from Annie's Eats

6 lbs. apples, peeled, cored & diced (such as Jonathan, Cortland, Pink Lady) 
1 1/2 C. water
6 Tbsp. sugar (more or less, depending on taste)
pinch of salt
3 cinnamon sticks (I just added ground cinnamon to taste)

Place all ingredients in a large dutch oven over medium heat until it reaches a boil. Cover with lid and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for about 25-30 minutes, stirring a few times, until apples are soft and broken down. Remove from heat. At this point, you can mash with a potato masher for a chunky consistency, or puree in a food processor until smooth. 

No comments: