Sunday, November 27, 2011

HONEY OAT WHEAT BREAD


A while back, I was on a mission to make the absolute best wheat bread possible. You know, as good, if not better than what you buy from Great Harvest and such. I tried all kinds of recipes, combinations of flour, techniques, etc. I ended up with a recipe that was more than satisfactory for my family, as posted here. Not too much later, wouldn't you know, my hubby decided to start eating a low-carb diet. BOOO! Sure I could continue making my bread, but the wind got knocked out of my sail pretty fast and my bread making decreased substantially.
Fast forward to today. I got in the bread making mode again, but decided to try a new recipe just for fun. I came across this "5 mitt-rated" recipe on Tasty Kitchen and whipped up a few loaves. YUM! It's a winner, and so easy to make. The method is slightly different than I typically do, but it worked!

Honey Oat Wheat Bread                makes 2 loaves

1 C. boiling water
1 C. old fashioned oats
1 C. milk
1/2 C. canola oil
1/2 C. honey
1 C. wheat flour
1 egg, beaten
1/2 Tbsp. salt
1/2 C. warm water
1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. yeast
1 C. all purpose flour
3-4 C. wheat flour
Mix boiling water and oats. Set aside for 15- 20 minutes to cool. Keep the milk next to it for later.
In a mixing bowl, combine the oil, honey, wheat flour, egg, and salt.
Start your proof by mixing the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Use a 2-cup container or bowl, as it will rise a lot!
Combine the milk with the oat mixture ; pour that into the mixer. Pour the proof into the mixer. Add the white flour, then rest of wheat flour, 1 cup at a time.
Knead in the bowl or by hand until smooth but still slightly tacky.  Grease bowl and top of dough, then cover and let rise till doubled.
Grease 2  large loaf pans. Beat down risen dough. divide into pans, let rise till dough is a couple of inches or so above the pan. (It will rise even more in the oven!)
Bake at 350ºF for 35 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What if u use instant yeast? Do u still proof it?

Kelli said...

I am certainly not an expert when it comes to yeast, but I always proof mine regardless of the type of yeast being used. However, no, I do not think it is necessary with instant yeast.