Wednesday, December 28, 2011

BLANCHED ALMONDS


Until a few months ago, I had no idea you could create your own blanched almonds at home. I figured their skin was there to stay unless you had some high-temperature, fancy blancher gadget. At the time, I was purchasing almond milk at the store frequently, and since it's so expensive, I looked up making it at home. That's where I discovered how simple it is to blanch your own almonds. Sure, you can buy them pre-blanched, but I had a huge bulk supply of raw ones in their skin.
There's no "recipe", you just boil the raw almonds at a low boil for 2 or 3 minutes. Drain the water and let them cool until easily handled. With the slightest pressure, they practically jump out of their skin! It's a little time-consuming, but kind of fun; kids love it!

No comments: