Tuesday, December 6, 2011

HEALTHY WHEAT PUMPKIN BREAD WITH BLUEBERRIES & WHITE CHOCOLATE


My family LOVES pumpkin chocolate chip bread, but the amount of oil and sugar in the traditional recipe just scares me! I like to consider my bread just what it is...bread, not my dessert! With that in mind, I finally tried a recipe that has been hanging out in my "to try" file for a few years now. It's a healthier version, but I made it even better and reduced the refined sugar content even more by using date sugar! Instead of the chocolate chips, I threw in some fresh blueberries (cause I love them in my Blueberry Banana Bread) and some white chocolate chips. It turned out SO good! I took some to my neighbor friend and she called it "the best pumpkin bread she's ever eaten". Maybe she said that just to be nice, but I agree!

Healthy Wheat Pumpkin Bread with Blueberries & White Chocolate          Makes 1 Loaf
Recipe adapted from Nov. 2009 Good Housekeeping Magazine
1/2 C. light brown sugar, UNpacked
1/2 C. date sugar (can be found in health food stores, but can also just use more brown sugar)
1/2 C. scant, Egg Beaters or 2 egg whites
1 C. canned pumpkin puree
1/4 C. unsweetened applesauce 
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1/3 C. low-fat or non-fat plain yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. ground flax, optional
1 C. soft white wheat flour (can also use regular white wheat flour)
3/4 C. all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg (pre-ground is fine, but fresh is better!)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt 
1 C. fresh blueberries
1 C. white chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray loaf pan* with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In large bowl with wire whisk, combine sugars and egg substitute. Add pumpkin, applesauce, oil and vanilla; stir to combine.
3. In medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients except blueberries & white chocolate chips. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in blueberries and white chocolate chips. Do not overmix.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 45 - 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Invert bread onto wire rack to cool completely. 

* I made mine into mini loaves and baked for 33 minutes.


1 comment:

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

blueberries instead of chocolate chips! That's a nice exchange.