Wednesday, January 11, 2012

CHEESEBURGER LETTUCE WRAPS


Several weeks ago, I had (what I thought was) a novel idea; a cheeseburger salad. I've made taco salad a billion times, so why hasn't this concept ever occurred to me before now? Well, I didn't get around to it as soon as I had hoped, then, what do you know, The Pioneer Woman herself steals (ha, ha) my idea! Now I had to figure out a way to change it up a bit so it didn't look like I copied her right after she posted hers, so here you have it...cheeseburger lettuce wraps!
These were REALLY good. They tasted just like a cheeseburger if you ask me. I think I'll be making these a billion more times in my life!

CHEESEBURGER LETTUCE WRAPS              Serves 4-5
slightly adapted from The Pioneer Woman

1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
1/4 + C. ketchup (more as needed for consistency)
3 Tbsp. mayo (I used lite mayo with olive oil)
1 tsp. yellow mustard
salt and pepper, to taste
1 head bibb lettuce (a.k.a. boston, butter)
Toppings:
1/2 C. grated sharp cheddar cheese (I used 2%)
3-4 whole dill pickle spears, diced
1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced 
2 roma tomatoes, diced
Homemade croutons (recipe follows)

Prepare lettuce by carefully removing each leaf from base of lettuce. Rinse in salad spinner, then place leaves cupped side down onto a clean dry towel to completely dry.

Brown meat in large skillet over medium heat, drain excess grease. Add ketchup, mayo and mustard and mix to combine. Add salt and pepper as desired. Taste and add more ketchup, mayo or mustard if needed. Keep warm.

To make croutons: 
Cut 2 whole hamburger buns, english muffins or whatever bread you have on hand, into 1/2" cubes. In small skillet over low heat, melt a few tablespoons butter. Add bread cubes and toss to coat with butter. Increase heat to medium and Cook for approx. 10-12 minutes, until crispy, adding a few more tablespoons butter half way through cooking. 

Assemble lettuce wraps by spooning meat mixture down middle and top with pickle, cheese, tomato, onion and croutons. fold edges of lettuce around mixture as you bite in and thoroughly enjoy!!

2 comments:

Krysta said...

These sound delicious!!!! Can't wait to try! We are lettuce wrap addicts here at our house....

Anonymous said...

We had these for dinner tonight. Soooo goooood. We loved them. Thanks for sharing:)