Friday, January 6, 2012

EASY CHICKEN CURRY


Curry dishes are still pretty new to me, so I never know what to expect. I am not very brave when it comes to spices and spicy-heat and for some reason I've always had the misconception that Indian food has to be spicy. I've learned that isn't the case. This is the perfect "beginner" Indian dish.
I made this dish mild by using plain old curry powder you find along with the other spices in the grocery store. Nothing special, but it's "safe" for a novice like myself. I also scaled back the other spices, fearing it would be too strong, but now I know to bump them up next time. The kids had no complaints and it was, just as the title states; EASY! I imagine this can also be done in the slow cooker. Just prep the spices and onion on the stove, then throw them in the slow cooker with remaining ingredients and cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-7 hours.

EASY CHICKEN CURRY           4-6 servings
Adapted from A Nutritionist Eats


3 Tbsp. canola oil
1 1/2 tsp. each ground corriander & curry powder of choice
2 tsp. garam masala
1 1/2 medium onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. jarred minced ginger
1 C. tomato sauce (I ended up using more to make it "saucier")
1 tsp. tumeric
1 lb. chicken breast (about 3 large)
salt

Heat oil in large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven. Add corriander, curry and garam masala. Stir until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add onions, garlic and ginger to spice mixture and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomato sauce and tumeric. Cook for about 3 minutes. Cut chicken into 1" cubes and season with salt. Add to pot. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour (I went with 1 hour). Stir occasionally. Lid can be removed to help sauce thicken if needed. Serve with rice or naan if desired.




1 comment:

kristy said...

Hi Kelli! This recipe looks fantastic!!! And you have no idea how much I love easy and good recipes for during the week. :) I'm looking forward to trying this one.