Tuesday, January 17, 2012

HEART-HEALTHY NO YOLK EGG SALAD


As a kid, I loved egg salad sandwiches. I don't make them the traditional way much anymore because of the fat content, but I've come up with a heart-healthy version where I've replaced the "bad fat" in yolks with the "good fat" of avocado. I've also incorporated plain nonfat Greek yogurt to not only decrease the fat and saturated fat, but it boosts the protein content too; making this dish even more filling. It's not quite as luxurious as my childhood favorite, but my waistline and heart will thank me for it!

NO YOLK EGG SALAD                       serves 4

5 hard boiled eggs
1/2 stalk green onion
3 mini dill pickles (cucumber or celery may be substituted)
1 medium size piece roasted red pepper 
1/2 large avocado
1/4 C. plain nonfat Greek Yogurt
1/4 C. Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Garlic Powder
Salt 
Pepper

Slice hard boiled eggs in half and discard yolks. Chop egg whites into small pieces put in medium bowl. Chop pickles, red pepper and avocado and put in bowl with egg. In small bowl, mix together remaining ingredients, with garlic powder, salt and pepper quantities to suit your own taste. Dump mayo mixture into egg mixture and gently fold to incorporate. Serve on lettuce leaves, with crackers or on bread. Refrigerate any leftovers. Best if eaten within a day, as avocado will darken.

No comments: