Monday, March 26, 2012

BACON WRAPPED CHICKEN WITH BLEU CHEESE AND PECANS

Bacon Wrapped Chicken with Bleu Cheese and Pecans
It’s another “reveal day” for the Secret Recipe Club. That means this decadent chicken dish is a recipe I got from my assigned blog, Lynsey Lou's. I can’t tell you how much time I spent reviewing all her tempting recipes, but I kept coming back to this one! Yesterday was the perfect day to enjoy this rewarding dish! Being members of the LDS Church (Mormon), we participate in a monthly 2 meal fast, known as “Fast Sunday”, so we were VERY much looking forward to this meal! It really hit the spot for my husband who absolutely loves bleu cheese, but for him it’s usually a topping for a bacon double burger, so this was a nice fancy change! I have a feeling he’ll be asking me to make this again soon. Thanks Lynsey!

BACON WRAPPED CHICKEN WITH BLEU CHEESE AND PECANS
4 Pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
Salt and Pepper
1 Cup blue cheese crumbles
2 Scallions sliced on bias
4 Slices of bacon
1 Tablespoon EVOO
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 Cup chicken stock
1/2 Cup 1/2 &1/2 or Cream
2 Tablespoons grainy mustard (I used Dijon)


Heat oven to 375

Butterfly chicken by cutting across breast (not totally through).  Place chicken on parchment or wax paper and open breast up and top with another piece of wax or parchment paper.  Pound lightly between.  Pull paper away and salt and pepper chicken.
Cover seasoned chicken with bleu cheese, pecans and scallions.

Roll the chicken, wrap each roll with bacon and secure with toothpicks.  Season outside of rolls with salt and pepper.
Heat olive oil  in skillet, brown chicken evenly all over (5-6 min).

Transfer chicken to baking sheet and cook in oven 10 minutes** 

Melt butter in same pan, whisk in flour, cook 1 minute then add chicken stock.  Let thicken then stir in 1/2 & 1/2, mustard and salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.
**My chicken breasts must have been large because I had to bake mine closer to 20 minutes to get them thoroughly cooked. 

16 comments:

The Home Cook said...

This sounds divine!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

That looks amazing! I can never get stuffed chicken to look that good! :-)

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie said...

This looks and sounds so good

Bakeaholic Carrie said...

Looks great! I neeeeeed to try it!

Farmgirl Gourmet said...

This looks so good! Everyone's recipes are so great this Month for SRC. I am hungry now! :) Happy reveal day!

Gingered Whisk said...

Oh, this does look amazing!!

Lynsey said...

Wonderful job, this looks fabulous! It's been so long since I've made this, I've forgotten about it. I will have to make this again very soon.

Melissa said...

I'm always looking for new ways to make chicken. This looks so delicious!!

Tami said...

Omg, I cannot wait to try this recipe. It looks and sound divine!!

Melanie said...

I don't even know how to respond to this dish. So decadent and delicious! ::drool::

Nicole @ The Daily Dish said...

Oh yum, your photo looks delicious - yummy recipe!

Kirstin said...

YUM! Love all those ingredients!

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee said...

you took such a lovely pitcure! I feel that stufed chicken breast is very hard to photo. nice job! sounds like a great recipe.

Kelli said...

Thank you all for your kind comments; especially about the photo! I struggle with my food photography and have a lot of "misses", so it's nice to get a "hit" once in a while!

The Daily Smash said...

These look so good. I just found your blog its great. Come check out my blog at www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com


Have a Great Day :)

Kelley @ The Culinary Enthusiast said...

Bacon, blue cheese...I didn't even need to go on to know I'd like this recipe! We just launched the all new seasonalpotluck.com and I'd love for you to check it out! April is peas month, so if you have any pea recipes to share, join in and link up! We'd love to have you.