Saturday, April 21, 2012

Homemade Ketchup {Sugar-Free}

IMG_4009
I have been wanting to try making ketchup for a long time, but had a stockpile of store bought that I felt I needed to use up first. Finally, we used the last drop the other day, so I got my chance. I was really curious to see just how much this would end up tasting like traditional ketchup. As you can see, the texture is not quite as silky smooth as I’m used to, but the flavor is awesome! And the best part is that I got to control how much sweetness to add. Not only how much to add, but also what type of sweetener used (no high fructose corn syrup here!). Oh yeah, and there’s a little added nutrition with the carrot puree! My 3 year old loves his turkey hot dogs, so I served it up as usual with ketchup on the side for him to dip and guess what…he had no idea the ketchup didn’t originally come in the ketchup bottle from the store that I washed out and reused. This ketchup should last a while in the fridge, but excess can also be frozen.

Homemade Ketchup {Sugar-Free}            Makes about 12 ounces
Recipe adapted from Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld

1/2 C. Carrot Puree*
1 Can (6 oz.) Organic Tomato Paste
1/4 C. Water
1 Tbsp. Pure Maple Syrup, or other sweetener of choice (optional)
2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar or Malt Vinegar
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1/2 tsp. Dry Mustard
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Allspice
1/4 tsp. Chili Powder
1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon

Stir all the ingredients together in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture has reduced a bit, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for a week, or freeze in individual portions (in ice cube tray) for up to 6 months. 
* Can use baby food carrot puree or make your own by steaming or boiling 2-3 medium carrots that have been peeled and chopped small. Puree in a food processor until smooth, adding a little water for consistency.




1 comment:

cbo said...

Thank you for this one! My youngest eats way too much ketchup! I can't wait to try it out.