Tuesday, April 10, 2012

WHITE SHEET CAKE WITH CREAMY TOPPING AND STRAWBERRIES {DESSERT FOR A CROWD}

White Cake with Creamy Topping

My mother-in-law’s birthday happened to fall on Easter this year, so I wanted to host the family meal so she could relax and enjoy her day. The usual crowd was cut in half thanks to Spring Break taking most of my side of the family to sunny California or to The Master’s Tournament in Augusta Georgia. Even so, I knew the dessert needed to be big enough to allow for seconds and thirds for my 4 growing nephews that would be there.

I saw this recipe on Real Mom Kitchen and knew it would be perfect. She uses a boxed cake mix, but I wanted to make it a little more special by using the white sheet cake recipe from Frieda Loves Bread. I don’t think I’ll ever use a boxed mix again! It turned out SO good! Everybody loved it, and the creamy topping was good enough to eat by the spoonful. Now I’ve got my go-to white sheet cake to go along with my go-to chocolate sheet cake.

 

White Sheet Cake With Creamy Topping and Strawberries              serves 24+

(Printable Recipe)

For The Cake:

1 C. butter

1 C. water

2 C. sugar

2 C. + 4 Tbsp. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. soda

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 C. plain nonfat Greek style yogurt (or sour cream)

Put butter and water in a large bowl.  Heat in microwave for 2 minutes.  Stir until all the butter is melted.  Add sugar, flour, salt, and soda.  Stir with a wire whisk until smooth.  Add eggs and vanilla, beat well.  Stir in yogurt or sour cream until all is blended.
Pour into a 11”x17” baking sheet that has been greased.
Bake at 375º for 18-22 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched or toothpick inserted in center comes clean.

For the Topping:

2 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese, softened

3 1/2 C. powdered sugar

1 (12oz) container of cool whip

Sliced strawberries or other fruit topping

With a mixer, blend cream cheese and powdered sugar together.  Add cool whip and beat until smooth and creamy.

Spread mixture on top of cooled cake.

Cut into pieces and serve with fruit topping.

Refrigerate any leftovers.

1 comment:

Frieda Loves Bread said...

Thanks for featuring my Grammy's White Texas Sheet cake recipe! You have made it extra special with another icing version!