Saturday, June 23, 2012

HOMEMADE FLAVORED WATER {without the artificial stuff}

Flavored Water

My younger sister called me the other day asking about “green smoothies” and “detox drinks”.  I don’t know much about “detox drinks”, but the one she read off to me that Dr. Oz recommends sounds a little harsh for a beginner! Swiss Chard, Broccoli, Collard Greens, Fennel, etc. He has others that sound way more appealing! But, in the course of the conversation, I remembered this nice refreshing flavored water I made a few times (and apparently forgot about).  Since ginger has natural stomach soothing properties I thought she should give it a whirl. Stomach issues or not, it’s a good no-recipe drink to keep in mind during the hot summer months! You can make it just about any flavor you like or make it sparkling water. I do highly recommend using fresh mint, it gives it a more sophisticated taste. Here's a link to a bunch of other refreshing combinations!

Homemade Flavored Water

Cucumber-Ginger-Lime-Mint
     In the bottom of a water pitcher, place slices of lime (about 1/2 a lime), a few thick-cut slices of peeled ginger, 6 or so fresh mint leaves, and a few slices of seeded cucumber. 
     Gently muddle (without pulverizing) with the handle of a wooden spoon.
     Fill the pitcher half way up with ice, then fill with purified water or tap water. If desired (and I do!), add 5-6 drops of liquid stevia to sweeten. 
     Stir together and refrigerate a few hours to let flavors meld before drinking. Pour through the strainer part of the water pitcher to avoid chunks in your glass. You can add more water and ice to the pitcher one or two more times before it loses flavor. Keeps for up to 3 days.


No comments: