Monday, September 24, 2012

CHICKEN WITH SHRIMP SAUCE {for the Secret Recipe Club}

Chicken With Shrimp Sauce

This month for the Secret Recipe Club, I was given the blog Chocolate and Chillies by Asiya who lives in Toronto Canada, but is of Indian heritage. I was really excited to have an excuse to go outside of my dinner “box” and make one of her traditional Indian recipes like the Low-Fat Butter Chicken or the Easy Khorma. However, this month our family life has been ruled by endless soccer games and practices x 3 kids, so I found myself at home on Sunday scrambling to find one of her recipes I could make with what I had on hand. Needless to say, that pretty much eliminated all things Indian since I don’t stock (let alone ever heard of) ginger-garlic paste, tandoori masala powder or kasuri methi. But, to my surprise I did have all I needed to make this Chicken With Shrimp Sauce. Normally I would bypass anything with seafood cause I’m not a fan, but the rest of my family adores it, so I figured my hubby would happily take the shrimp from my sauce for me! Her blog boasts easy recipes and this one sure fits that claim. It was a hit with the family and I’m sure I’ll be asked to make it again in the future!

Chicken With Shrimp Sauce         Serves 4-6 people

4 - 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in half (as to butterfly) and pounded thin
3 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp chopped onion (I used more)
1 tbsp garlic, minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper 

Sauce:
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I used slightly less)
1 cup milk (I used closer to 1 1/2 C. and warmed it in microwave before adding to sauce)
1 tbsp lemon juice, or to taste (I only had lime juice and used 1 1/2 Tbsp.)
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 cups frozen raw shrimp
1 cup water (I used chicken broth)
1 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes (I omitted - family isn't a fan of heat)
salt (I felt it needed quite a bit but I didn't measure)
I also added some garlic powder and onion powder

Remove shells from shrimp and de-vein. (I also cut mine in half to be more bite size). Boil the shrimp in some water until pink and curled (only takes a few minutes once placed in boiling water).  Drain and set aside.

Wash and clean chicken breasts.  Cut in half (as if to butterfly).  Put a piece of plastic wrap on the cutting board.  Place one chicken breast in the middle.  Fold over the plastic wrap.  Pound with a mallet until thin.  Repeat with remaining chicken.

Heat oil in large skillet. Salt and pepper one side of the chicken breasts.  Add garlic and onions to the pan and saute until soft.  Add chicken seasoned side down.  Salt and pepper the unseasoned side.  Brown both sides and cook through. Reduce heat to low and keep warm until sauce is ready.

In a saucepan add butter and oil.  Over low heat melt butter.  Gradually whisk in flour and stir until smooth.  Increase heat to medium and cook briefly.  Slowly add the (warmed) milk a bit at a time and whisk.  If you add it all at once your sauce will be very lumpy.  Once you've added all the milk, add the lemon juice and tomato paste.  Cook until thickened.  If the sauce is too thick (mine resembled playdough at this point) add water (or broth) until you reach desired consistency. Add red chilli flakes and season with salt, garlic powder & onion powder if using.  Add shrimp and stir.  Pour sauce on top of chicken in skillet and stir around a bit to cover. Serve over rice if desired. 

6 comments:

Shari TheSaucyGourmet said...

Perfect, just thawed some chicken cutlets for dinner and wasn't sure what I was gonna do with them. You just helped me make my decision!

Asiya @ Chocolate and Chillies said...

Yeah!!! I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed this..it's been so long since I made it...need to do so soon! Love your picture of it as well. The sauce consistency looks much better than mine too!

Gingered Whisk said...

Looks great! Good job!

Amy CookingAdventures said...

I would never think to top chicken with shrimp sauce! Great SRC choice!

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee said...

glad you had everything on hand for this. sounds like a great recipe!

Nikki Lee said...

This looks delicious! Trying it tonight.