Thursday, October 4, 2012

Roasted Eggplant Dip/Spread

Roasted Eggplant Dip

As I’ve mentioned a few times in past posts, my family loves dips, so I’m always on the look-out for a new recipe to try. I’ve had this one in my “to try” file for probably a few years and finally decided to give it a whirl. Although I loved how healthy the recipe sounded, I was a little skeptical as to how tasty it would actually be without cream cheese or mayo that’s typically found in dips. Roasting the veggies gives them a great creaminess once processed so I didn’t miss the cream cheese at all! This is a truly healthy dip that you can eat a lot of before feeling any guilt : )

Roasted Eggplant Dip
Recipe from Taste of Home 2007

1 Medium Eggplant, cut into 1" pieces
2 medium Red Peppers, diced into 1" pieces
1 Small Red Onion, diced into 1" pieces
2 Cloves Garlic, minced or garlic powder to taste
1 1/2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
3 Tbsp. Water (if needed)
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
Parmesan Cheese, optional

Place cut up veggies onto rimmed sheet pan and drizzle with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix around until well covered with oil. Place in preheated 400 F oven for 45-55 minutes, until browned and soft. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Place into food processor with the tomato paste. Process until fairly smooth with a few small chunks remaining. Drizzle in water if needed for consistency. Place in bowl and bring to room temperature. Top with grated Parmesan cheese if desired and serve with crackers or spread on a sandwich.


No comments: