Thursday, November 29, 2012

{Fairly} Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies With Reeses Pieces

Healthier Cookies with Reeses Pieces

Is anybody still out there? It appeared as if I had forgotten about my blog huh? Making you stare at the same post for almost a month straight, how rude of me ; )  For those of you still checking in; you’ve got to try these cookies! In spite of the holiday’s, I am trying pretty hard to resist making goodies. Honestly, my family was in a bad rut for a while there, justifying having goodies on a daily basis practically! My scale to me loud and clear that it’s time to have some self control and motivation! Since I’ve gone 5 days without a goodie, I figured I have earned a healthy treat. These cookies suited just what I was looking for: use up some Reeses Pieces from Halloween, be healthy, and actually taste good. Now, the problem is portion control with these!!

{Fairly} Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies With Reeses Pieces                makes about 1 1/2 dozen cookies
Recipe from Eating Well Magazine, originally titled Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies


3/4 C. old-fashioned oats
1 C. whole wheat flour (I used soft white wheat)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 C. unsalted butter, softened
1/4 C. canola oil
1/3 C. white sugar (I took out 1 Tbsp. and added 3/4 tsp. stevia) *
1/3 C. brown sugar (I took out 1 Tbsp. and added 1 Tbsp. date sugar) *
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C. chocolate chips (I used 1/2 C. Reeses Pieces and 1/2 C. sugar free chocolate chips)

1.  Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray
2. Grind oats in a blender or food processor until fine. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in flour, baking soda and salt. Beat butter in a large bowl with electric mixer until fluffy. Add oil, sugars, egg and vanilla; beat until smooth and creamy. With the mixer running, add the dry ingredients, beating on low speed until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. 
3.  Roll the dough into small balls and place 1-2" apart on baking sheet. Bake for 13-15 minutes util firm around the edges and golden on top. Cool for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

* After tasting the dough, I opted to roll the cookie balls in sugar before baking because they seemed to be not quite sweet enough with my sugar alteration in the recipe. Once baked they were perfectly sweet!!

1 comment:

Jill said...

After the way we have eaten over the holidays this looks like the perfect recipe for us! Thanks for sharing.